Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Abraham’s Lincoln’s Act of Integrity

                             

Reflection:
This video was about when Abraham Lincoln was traveling with a man, who offered him first whiskey then tobacco. Lincoln denied both and explained to the man that he made a promise to his mom since he was 9 years old. His mom was ill and was told she wasn’t going to get better, she told Lincoln to promise her that he would never use whiskey or tobacco. The man was surprised about his promise and apologized.

I believe that Lincoln had the courage to keep his promise and I admire him. Nowadays we make promises out of nowhere without an actual act of keeping them. We make a promise but since we keep it in our mind instead of our heart we easily forget and break it. Many make promises like Lincoln did about not smoking or drinking, but since there is more peer-pressure than courage nowadays it’s easy to break the promise and begin to drink and smoke. It’s all a matter of decision, it’s our choice to make promises and keep them and not just think about them one day and break them the next day. I myself have promised that I would not drink or smoke ever in my life, but I can admit that I have been offered but I’ve always said no because I need to keep my promise that I did not only for myself, but for my family. When I keep a promise I try my best to keep it, and most of the time I do because I want someone to promise me something and keep it as well. Choose the right.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment